I am an associate professor at Istanbul Technical University, department of Aeronautical Engineering. I am the Vice Director of ITU Artificial Intelligence and Data Science Research Center.
I received my Ph.D. degree from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics. At MIT, I was a research assistant at the Aerospace Controls Lab and Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems.
My primary research interests are:
- Machine Learning and Data Driven Optimization
- Autonomous Multiagent Systems
- High Accuracy Guidance, Navigation and Control
I frequently collaborate with industry on research and product development projects. In particular, me and my group work closely with several companies for developing innovative artificial intelligence solutions for business and transportation problems. We also work with defense companies for developing high accuracy guidance, navigation and control systems for aircraft and spacecraft. You can see our partners and current projects at the projects page.
Besides my academic work, I am involved with companies Lisa AI (engagement predictor for Instagram, Co-founder) and Eatron (Electrification and Autonomous Driving, Director of AI).
I play bass for the instrumental prog death band Achroma Rising.
You can contact me at:
ure at itu dot edu dot tr (for academic inquires)
kemalure at gmail dot com (for non-academic stuff)
News and Updates
- 22/11/2020: We just kicked-off two industry funded projects on applying deep learning and deep reinforcement learning challenging perception and planning problems in swarm robotics and fighter aircraft control.
- 26/08/2020: We are partnering with DeepMind to bring DeepMind scholarships to ITU! Application info can be found at: https://ai.itu.edu.tr/deepmind-scholarship/
- 05/05/2020: Two papers from our group on using generative models and safety-aware self-driving systems has been accepted to IV’2020.
- 10/04/2020: Our paper on using deep learning for fault tolerant flight control been accepted to Aerospace Science and Technology!
- 18/09/2019: Our paper on using deep learning for crack detection in gas turbines has been accepted to Journal of Structural Health Monitoring! This paper features results on real data provided by General Electric.
- 11/07/2019: Our autonomous driving research team have just published three conference papers on topics spanning from model predictive control, reinforcement learning, tactical decision making and imitation learning. You can check out our work at IV, ITSC and IROS this year.
- 04/03/2019: Our paper on autonomous recovery from loss-of-control has been accepted to AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control and Dynamics!
- 17/09/2018: Two research papers from our group (one on deep learning based fault tolerant flight control and another one on end-to-end learning for aircraft landing) got accepted to AIAA SciTech Guidance Navigation and Control Conference. See you at San Diego in January!
- 27/06/2018: Companies: I have added info on companies I am involved with to the webpage.
- 21/05/2018: New Courses: Starting following academic year, I will be teaching a brand new graduate course on Deep Learning and an undergraduate course on Optimization.
- 02/04/2018: New Project: We started a very exciting research project sponsored by General Electric, where we will work on application of data driven optimization methods to airline operationes.
- 13/03/2018: New Band: Just returned from an amazing Canada tour with Gone in April. I have also put a bass playthrough of the song Relentless to my YouTube channel.
- 31/01/2018: Website went under a major revision. Group, projects and education pages are updated.
- 20/01/2018: Two research papers from our group (one on control of agile aircraft and another one on deep learning based fault tolerant control) got accepted to American Control Conference (ACC). See you at Wisconsin in June!
- 26/08/2017: Four research papers from our group on control of agile aircraft got accepted to AIAA SciTech Guidance Navigation and Control Conference. See you at Florida in January!